5 Common Mistakes After Suffering an Injury
- Not calling for help: Like many people, you may think that you need to show strength or “power through” a traumatic situation, including declining immediate medical aid. This can be a serious mistake that can lead to even more significant health problems down the line.
- Not following healthcare advice: Another big no-no when you are injured is to ignore doctor’s orders. Healthcare professionals are dedicated to helping you recover and get your life back on track. If you have been given a treatment plan by your doctor’s office, make sure to follow it or at least get a second opinion.
- Social media posting: It has become second nature to constantly give updates about day-to-day living on your favorite social media platform. Unfortunately, no one knows this better than insurance companies and defense attorneys who want to deny your injury claim. If you’ve suffered an injury, but you’re posting about a fabulous vacation, it may be difficult for a cynical insurance claims adjuster to understand that you are still hurting.
- Settling too quickly: One of the first phone calls you might receive after suffering an injury in a motor vehicle collision could be from the at-fault driver’s insurance company offering a quick settlement. It may be tempting to take the money, but without knowing the extent of your injuries and harms you have suffered is always a bad idea. It’s best to get an experienced attorney to help you negotiate and navigate through the personal injury process.
- Not seeking experienced attorneys: It’s important for you and your case to choose attorneys who will pursue all types of compensation including payment of your medical bills, payment of lost wages, and compensation for your pain and suffering due to your injuries. At Cochran Douglas, we’ve seen every type of accident and we know every strategy of the insurance companies. We want to make this process as seamless and stress-free as possible in order to help you get back to doing the things you love.